fingerprints: an impression of the markings of the inner surface of the top of one's digit; a unique or distinctive pattern that presents unambiguous evidence of a specific person. fingerprinting: impressing that impression.

Tuesday, January 18

Exchanges, an extract



photos by Tara Mullholland

"It wasn’t until I arrived in France, during my third year of formal studies and my 23rd year of being primed to join the League of Justice, that I realised the ridiculousness of the legal system: in a place where the language dictates that “straight” equals “law” and where “lawyer” is “avocado” due to nothing more than an overlapping vocabulary, nothing which I had originally believed to be true held water any longer.

This isn’t the story of how I believed or stopped believing in things, though, even though it might be true. It’s more like the secret story underlying the one we all inhabit, the story that we’ll never actually know even though we’re living it every day, building it up as we go on believing we’re all alive and that we’ve got it all under control."

No comments: